Tube headphone amp/buffer stage kits

Discussion in 'The DIY Workshop' started by Rudy, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Rudy

Rudy ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff Member

Found this while looking for some DIY kits for tube headphone amps:

http://j.mp/GVbWGw

Some interesting circuitry there!

Also makes me wonder if one could use these as a tubed output buffer for a CD/SACD player.

2. Rudy

Tube buffer on eBay:

http://j.mp/GTmsCz

Looks like they "borrowed" a Musical Fidelity design, if I can tell from the broken English in the listing...

3. Rudy

It would be tempting to build a tube buffer stage into the Hafler preamp. But I don't know about ventilation. I'm not about to butcher the case on the Haflers I own.

4. Rudy

darkmatter likes this.
  5. darkmatter

darkmatter Maitre d' Forums Staff Member

Thanks for the links had considered this a few years ago to sweeten up one of the systems :)

6. Zippy

Zippy Forum Pest ™

I've got a Musical Fidelity X-10D buffer stage. I recapped mine a few years back with parts ordered from this site that has lots of X-gear mod suggestions: http://www.rock-grotto.co.uk/x-ccessories.html I've also purchased the accompanying X - PSU power supply upgrade (a torroidal transformer in a case like the other X series gear replaces the cheap wall wart, and allows a couple X series pieces to be run off one power supply) - Brother Tate graciously sent me an X series phono stage that he'd tried out before upgrading. I wouldn't recommend mounting one in a Hafler preamp - the buffer stage runs pretty warm, and you probably don't want to drill ventilation holes in the case.

If the circuit's the same as the Musical Fidelity X-10D you'll be able to tune your system easily with different flavors of 6DJ8 tubes (my fave's the X-pensive Amperex 7308). I tried a pair of National/Panasonic 7DJ8s and thought my fillings were going to start ringing; I got Rhin-o-Phonic rising treble with that experiment. :D Reverb and echo decay more naturally when the X-10D is in the path, and cymbals have a more natural sheen as well.

7. Rudy

There are a lot of chinese clones of the X-10D out there; I have no desire to given them one red cent (pardon the pun).

I do need some sort of buffer stage at least for the disc player, as I'm really starting to hate everything digital...

8. Zippy

Zippy Forum Pest ™

A used X-10 wouldn't cost too much, and the upgrade route is fairly reasonable. Short of getting a tube preamp (which opens a different can of worms) to get the digit-itis under control , the easiest path would be a used X-10 or the cloned circuit boards from China.

9. Rudy

There was one used unit on ePay for around $158 last I checked.

I am surprised one of the hobbyist magazines hasn't published the circuit board for it. Been years since I've etched a board...