1. Thank you for visiting It's Just Talk! To enjoy all of the features of our forum (and remove this message), please register for complete access. To prevent spam, our staff manually activates all new accounts; you will receive an email notice when your account is activated. Please enter the VIP code 6P7D5WQ4 when requested during registration. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We use the "responsive" layout of XenForo, which is cross-platform compatible and requires no additional apps to access our site via mobile, including smartphones and tablets.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions on Audio Technica AT33PTG/II

Discussion in 'Vinyl Science' started by Rudy, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Rudy

Rudy ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff Member

I am running a Dynavector MC cartridge currently, but have been thinking of getting a backup cart.

One on my short list is the Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, which is only available in Japan. It is readily available on eBay from a few reliable sellers, and it is even listed on Amazon now. Street price is ~$500.

For starters, I am not a fan of Audio Technica MM carts--even back in the 70s, I found them unpleasantly bright and forward. Any I've heard in recent years haven't changed much, although I have not played with loading, which tames that substantially.

Yet I have never heard an AT moving coil, and they have many in their lineup. Most familiar is the OC9 series, which I believe is now up to a version III. This AT33PTG/II is a low-output moving coil which features the Micro Line stylus (known for its great trackability).

I've read a few comments about this one, but not from anyone I've known personally. A few comments I've read seem to feel this is better than the OC9. Any observations? Thoughts?

A bit of cartridge pr0n... :wink:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017