Beatles LP Box Set: are you buying?

Discussion in 'New Release Announcements' started by Rudy, Sep 28, 2012.

?

Are you buying the Beatles stereo vinyl box set?

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  3. Maybe

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. Individual Titles Only

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  1. Candy

Candy Forum goodtime gal

Well blow me down with a feather. White Album 2012 EU is £25.74 shipped from Amazon UK today so ordered!

Rudy likes this.
  2. Rudy

Rudy ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff Member

I had a gift certificate for Amazon UK from months ago that was going to expire shortly, and another small one to add, so I wound up ordering MMT and Past Masters yesterday. :thumbsup:

3. RPD

RPD Member

I ordered the set just for the book. Sold all the LP's unopened...

4. Rudy

Pretty sad IMHO...perfect opportunity to give us some great remasters, yet the pressings are so bad that buyers like us are avoiding them.

Pug just returned his 2nd US copy of Sgt. Pepper. :shake:

5. Zippy

Zippy Forum Pest ™

At this point in time, crap pressings shouldn't be happening. Why the hell Capitol decided on the pressing plant they chose is a mystery - this sure won't help generate good word of mouth about vinyl quality these days. Not using the real deal masters instead of digital copies seems asinine as well - why not use the master tapes themselves?

6. Candy

Candy Forum goodtime gal

Can you imagine how many attempts it would take to get the Sgt Pepper locked groove right and all the chances of wear occurring to the analogue Masters that are priceless?It also would take quite a bit of time to freshly master each album and you wouldn't get the clean up Apple wanted that would be impossible purely in the analogue domain. It was unfortunate that the final cleaned up mastering was only stored at 44/24 but actually that higher sampling rate plus the lack of *any* limiting really does make a difference. Too bad the US pressings don't do justice to Sean's cutting.

7. Rudy

In a world where much (most?) studio equipment is 24/96, 44.1/24 makes absolutely no sense. And I'll leave it at that.

As it worked out, I got a refund from Amazon via their "A to Z Guarantee" program for the two US discs I ordered. To offset, I ordered Magical Mystery Tour and Past Masters from Amazon UK. Past Masters has not arrived yet (should be here by the weekend), but MMT is here. Quick listen through headphones tells me all I need to know: the vinyl is impeccable. True there are a couple of very minor ticks, but which new LP doesn't have that? No fill problems, clean vinyl, flat, on center, and that nice natural sound I was looking for.

I just wish I could swap my Amazon US gift funds for Amazon UK (short of having someone in the UK pay me for my funds so they can spend on Amazon US, and I use those to buy a gift card for Amazon UK so I can buy more titles).

8. Zippy

Zippy Forum Pest ™

Ticks and pops - some things will never change. I always despised stuff like that when I was buying vinyl, and shelling out for quiet MoFi lps was limited by my budget (and what MoFi was putting out), or rolling the dice on imports that were pricey with no guarantee of top quality vinyl. Always a trade-off of some sort involved...

9. Rudy

I received Past Masters today from Amazon UK, and both records are amazingly quiet. Great job on the cutting also, as they fit nine tracks per side on the first LP and as far as I can tell, they did not compromise sound quality. I had some minor ticks at the very beginning of the 2nd disc, but on a second replay, many of them were gone (obvious sign of dirt in the grooves). Replaying MMT today, it plays back cleanly also. Very nice sound overall on both.

Buying a handful of these from the UK is obviously the way to go--these are the quality we should demand over here in the US.

10. John Carsell

John Carsell Member

I bought a EU pressed With The Beatles last night over at the local Books A Million store. It plays most excellently. Nice n' flat and damn quiet vinyl.

Rainbo had no business pressing these ill-fated US LP's. I'll avoid anything pressed from Rainbo like the plague from here on.

Candy likes this.
  11. Rudy

I am really liking the two EU versions I bought. I just don't have the funds to get many right now.

12. Candy

Candy Forum goodtime gal

Someone really dropped the ball giving them the contract. I just hope they're out of getting the one for the mono set.

13. Candy

Candy Forum goodtime gal

I was delighted with my EU White Album.

John Carsell and Rudy like this.
  14. John Carsell

John Carsell Member

Just got the EU Past Masters a few days ago. :righton::righton:

Plays just fine.